facebook logo CS
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Discuss everything related to Duck Calls and calling ducks here - but nothing else please.

TOPIC: Need help learning to call ducks

Need help learning to call ducks 2 years 9 months ago #16255

For a lack of a better term my duck calling skills suck. I've always hunted the east coast and I can call teal pretty good but I never really had much use for a mallard call. I really want to start improving my calling skills this season since I know I will be calling alot more due to how and where our blind is. So my question is what are the fundementals of duck calling, when I blow my call I don't think it sounds like a quack. I just picked up a dr-85 to learn on and will be getting a watkins call here soon. So os there any instructional dvd's or something that will help me learn. I know we have some world class callers on here and I hope they can chime in and help me out.
  • RyanS
  • Regular
  • Thank you received: 7
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Need help learning to call ducks 2 years 9 months ago #16256

Buck Gardners "Fowl Play" is a good place to start. Another one is Molt Gears "Basic Grammer".
  • Mike Hauser
  • True Junkie
  • Thank you received: 109
Indiana Pro Staff: Promote the DuckJunkies name and make a positive influence.
FORUM MANAGER: All forums are post moderated; however, to maintain a welcoming environment, it must be a group effort. Please use common sense: Be Appropriate, Consider Your Post, No Advertisements, It’s All Opinion, Be Nice, Some things Are Private, You Can Get Kicked Off THESE RULES ALSO APPLY TO OUR ONLINE COMMUNITY.

Re: Need help learning to call ducks 2 years 9 months ago #16258

Just how good do ya want to get???How much time ya want to put into it. Several things come to mind with your post. We have a couple pretty good duck callers living in central Va. One being our very own Rich Foley (Va. pro-staff)... Judged him in several state contest...... He is REAL GOOD! I know ,he'd be willing to help anyway he can!
We also have one of the best call makers in the country living/hunting in and around your own home waters. Brain Watkins.(Watkins Duck Calls) He builds a fantastic call should you be looking for a new/good call. He, will do "everything" in his power to make sure you will be all you want to be.

Check out Brians website & give him a call!

Do have to say...I blow mostly BG duck & goose calls....Like em all,plus they have great customer service!
  • JoeH
  • True Junkie
  • Thank you received: 64
Last Edit: 2 years 9 months ago by JoeH.

Re: Need help learning to call ducks 2 years 9 months ago #16260

Joe I have been to brians website, those watkins call are fantastic, they look great and sound even better. I have Hobo's duck dictionary, but it really didn't give me what I was looking for. I will have to talk to rich. I'm not looking to win contests or anything I just wanna be able to call them in. Our blind is in a salt marsh, there is no food in there for them, but they fly right over the blind and some good calling and a realistic spread should get them in shooting range.
  • RyanS
  • Regular

Re: Need help learning to call ducks 2 years 9 months ago #16262

Either can fix ya right up! Tell ya what.Spend some time with Rich,he'll have ya callin ducks with no problem.
Like posted, lot's of good CD's DVD's on the market today. Buck has some really good ones ,Shawn Mann does too! Good Luck brother!
  • JoeH
  • True Junkie

Re: Need help learning to call ducks 2 years 9 months ago #16263

Thanks for your help Joe, I look foreward to getting to hunt with you this season.
  • RyanS
  • Regular

Re: Need help learning to call ducks 2 years 9 months ago #16264

I agree with like said, lots of dvds and stuff out there to get you started. and also I mean not pros by any means but you can look up stuff on youtube now days. Just imo if you find a guy that does vids and you stay with him you can learn some new calls and even basic quacks. Alot of different ideas of how ppl think you should blow the call. So if you can find someone that you like and stick with the vids then you can use that too. Just a thought
  • Chris Boatwright
  • Knows This Place
  • Thank you received: 5

Re: Need help learning to call ducks 2 years 9 months ago #16265

I agree with like said, lots of dvds and stuff out there to get you started. and also I mean not pros by any means but you can look up stuff on youtube now days. Just imo if you find a guy that does vids and you stay with him you can learn some new calls and even basic quacks. Alot of different ideas of how ppl think you should blow the call. So if you can find someone that you like and stick with the vids then you can use that too. Just a thought
  • Chris Boatwright
  • Knows This Place
  • Thank you received: 5

Re: Need help learning to call ducks 2 years 9 months ago #16270

Tell ya what.... I'm just about the best duck& goose caller here in Va..... not brag....just fact Oh, sorry day dreaming again! One thing for you to worry about....Brain will be hunting in your area,so ya gotta out-call him :woohoo:
Looking forward to sharing some sky with you too....looks like it's going to be a good fall ,so far :)
  • JoeH
  • True Junkie

Re: Need help learning to call ducks 2 years 9 months ago #16271

we have a local park that has many ducks. my wife and i often take a picnic lunch out and i just stop and listen...
what they are saying coming in, and while they are feeding and so forth... i even took my cell and did a voice recording of them. i tried to imitate what i heard... eventually taking my call to the park and experimenting. can now call them in and "talk with them a bit"... lol
i learned a lot by watching their reactions...

also, try recording yourself practicing then listen to yourself. I also think that my calling sounds "funny" while i am blowing, but when i can listen and compare myself to what i am trying to sound like, it may help you find your mistakes...

just a thought...
  • Greg Ohler
  • True Junkie
  • Thank you received: 68
Greg Ohler
PA FIELD STAFF
The following user(s) said Thank You: lesliecrawford
Moderators: Mike Hauser
Time to create page: 0.453 seconds

Newest Users

• ouity425p8
  • jhrthspa423
  • sdaefwe425
  • nqdiztvx39
  • argwe6gga425

Who's Logged In?

• Eiswnybbp
  • sieewtes3416